It's Flashback Friday friends. This post is inspired by Fashionista's Timeline of the Top 20 Designer Collaborations. I got to thinking about my first purchase from the collaboration realm, and my mind immediately diverted to circa 2007 when I snagged a tank from the Proenza Schouler + Target Collaboration. At this point in time, I embarrassingly admit I did not know who Proenza Schouler was, nor did I realize that the retail giant was collaborating with anyone, I just spotted a navy cotton tank on a plastic hanger, with lovely detailing, and said to myself, "that's mine." In all honesty, isn't that what good design is all about? It's not about who is on the label (yes, keep saying that to yourself), but more about who can catch the eye of the consumer and stay in rotation for a long time to come.
Some of the best collaborations come from a brand and its muse. Take Kate Moss + Topshop or Kristin Cavallari + Chinese Laundry (i know, i know, you are surprised by this, but the line is doing REALLY well, must give credit when it's due...). Velvet by Graham & Spencer has been one of my go-to brands for a very long time. The cottons are soft, the pieces are basic, and every once and a while, they design a maxi that you live in all Summer, or a striped blazer that you wear all year long. To me, that is the definition of a good brand, one that creates pieces that are effortless, and provides you with an item so loved, that you wear it till the seams come apart. Euphoria!
Recently, American model (and lovely wife of dreamy KOL lead singer, Caleb Followill) Lily Aldridge was invited to design a collection for Velvet that includes loose v-necks, preppy t-shirt dresses, live-in sweatshirts, and this military-inspired leopard jacket...WHICH I LOVE. It is truly a muse meets dream brand collaboration. Fun fact: Lily named each piece after a friend or family member that inspires her.
So now I ask, what are you waiting for?
DO: Look Adorable on the Red Carpet with Your Baby Daddy
DON'T: Pass up the Pizza
DO: Rock a Cape
DO: Photobomb the Most Epic Selfie of All Time
DO: Dominate TWO Red Carpets
DON'T: Mispronounce the Name of a Broadway Legend
*Click images for source.
Happy Friday! Looking forward to the weekend. May it be filled with coziness, love, friends, good wine, and Spring Fashion, of course (Spring is only 19 days away...you can do it!).
and now some links for your viewing pleasure.
1. Now we're true Cambridgians thanks to this print from J Hill Design
2. Hosting an Oscar Viewing Party this weekend, and Oscar Bingo is definitely on the agenda...
3. Speaking of the Oscars, Refinery 29 predicts what the Starlets might and SHOULD wear on Sunday.
5. ASOS is currently offering 20% off their Spring Styles...(make room in your closet NOW)
6. Looking forward to meeting the red penguins at the 21c Museum Hotel in Louisville in a few weeks.
7. Ooo-ing and ahh-ing over the textiles and decor from Olive Manna
8. I love a good print from Mr. Boddington's Studio, especially when our city is involved...
9. How are these for my FIRST pair of Manolos?
10. It's the weekend: drink, celebrate, relax, and Put an Egg on It.